Panic Attacks At Night

I've managed to get my anxiety and panic attacks mostly under control, to the point where I am on no medication and don't need weekly therapy. However, I still struggle every night not to have some amount of anxiety. When I lay down and try to sleep my mind automatically tries to come up with situations to make me worry. I have to keep myself distracted with music until I fall asleep, but this keeps me up later than I'd like. Any ideas?

Panic attacks at night

I've managed to get my anxiety and panic attacks mostly under control, to the point where I am on no medication and don't need weekly therapy. However, I still struggle every night not to have some amount of anxiety. When I lay down and try to sleep my mind automatically tries to come up with situations to make me worry. I have to keep myself distracted with music until I fall asleep, but this keeps me up later than I'd like. Any ideas?

Hi there - first of all, may I say well done, for cracking the attacks during the day and coming off medication.

The night time anxiety is difficult one, I ONLY get panic attacks at night. A few suggestions:-

First, it might help if you try to stop worrying about NOT going to sleep. I know, it's a vicious circle - you can't sleep, you think you'll be exhausted in the morning, worry about that, which makes it worse etc etc. If you can try to think - okay, I may be tired in the morning, but I'll cope - it might take some of the anxiety away.

Music can help but, as you say, it can also keep you awake. Some people find reading a really boring book helps; try counting down from 100, or go through the multiplication tables (that should send anyone to sleep!)

Try a bit of fantasying - what would you do if you won the lottery? Or - invent a "safe" place - a garden, a beach, a pool in the forest, imagine lying down, listen to the birds, water whatever? A little internet group I belong to have a "virtual" tent we crawl into when necessary, with whatever we want in it - duvets and pillows made of clouds etc :rolleyes:

Breathing- breathe in calm "blue" and breathe out anxious "red". Or progressive muscle relaxation; start with your feet, make them warm and relaxed, then your shins and thighs, all the way up your body. If you start to think anxious thoughts, bring your attention back to your body. I used to do this, and never got up as far as my neck - I was asleep!

Just a few other quick ideas - a warm bath, maybe with your music (but don't electrocute yourself!) before bed; lavender oil on your pillow; nature sounds CDs - loads about, birds, sea sounds etc; herbal sleeping tablets. Maybe talk to your doctor/pharmacist/health food shop, there is loads of stuff out there now.

Don't know if any of the above will help, but hope so.

Good luck

Briar

Thanks for your suggestions. I find that active imagination, like the fantasy scenes you mentioned, really help as long as they are really far off from my everyday life. As long as it's not remotely related to reality it helps me fall asleep quickly. Being physically tired through a good workout right before bed also helps sometimes if I didn't do much physical activity during that day.

Great job!
You could also try counting backwards from 100 by 3's. See if that might help. It has actually helped me when I have one during the day. It allows me to take control of the attack before it controls me.

Bawon

This is one of the reason why I find it very difficult to sleep early at night which makes me to will stay awake till around 2 a.m. so that I would be so weak and I will sleep very quickly. I usually wake up very early in the morning around 6:00 AM. I don't get enough sleep.

Back