Which anti-depressant has worked best for you?

Just wondering which anti-depressant has the most success in treating depression? I have finally made an appt to see my physician this monday and will asking him to prescribe me anti-depressants.

This is an update to say I have been taking Zoloft for a month now twice a day and I am happy to report that I have had no side effects. During Thanksgiving week I went to my Doctor and explained to her my feelings now that Im in College away from home and she recommended I tried Zoloft first as it is the least addictive. Well so far I have had no problems with it, Zoloft has worked great for me. I can honestly say that nothing bothers me anymore!

Last edited:
Just wondering which anti-depressant has the most success in treating depression? I have finally made an appt to see my physician this monday and will asking him to prescribe me anti-depressants.

I use Lexapro for a general anxiety disorder and it also helps with depression. It's subtle and effective at the same time. If I forget to take it I start crying for, what seems to be, no reason. I tried a few different medications before deciding that Lexapro is the best one for me. I firmly believe that different medications work well for different people.

I've had success with Welbutrin and Effexor. The Effexor worked the best, but withdrawal from it was extremely bad. That only happened once, because of a mistake with my refill over the holidays, but it was BAD. When I realized I was going to be without health insurance I had to stop taking Effexor, because I knew something might come up to interrupt my supply.

Right now I can't afford anything because I still don't have health insurance, so I'm having pretty significant problems at the moment.

First of all, Criticalthinking I am so sorry to hear that! Does your state have any type of health insurance for you that you can try to apply for? We have a great one here.. I hope that you are able to deal with the depression on your own :(. Thinking back, years ago, I was on Zoloft and it did seem to help. It made me very bubbly and happy. Nothing seemed to get me down. The only thing is it made me EXTREMELY spacy. I have most recently been on Effexor and although it did help, it does have really bad withdrawl side effects as Criticalthinking mentioned. I was so dizzy I had to start taking something just for the dizziness! I also became really emotional and had the worst headaches I think you could ever imagine..

I was taking zoloft and prozac for 2 years with great success. At the time I was on antidepressants, I was suffering from depression, anxiety and agoraphobia. Both helped me to feel better and allow me to live a pretty normal life. After the 2 year mark however, I began to experience some very noticeable side effects. I had some weight problems, chronic fatigue, skin disorders and my brain became foggy. I stopped taking the zoloft and continued to take prozac with no real issues so i'm assuming zoloft was the main culprit.

First of all, Criticalthinking I am so sorry to hear that! Does your state have any type of health insurance for you that you can try to apply for? We have a great one here.. I hope that you are able to deal with the depression on your own :(. Thinking back, years ago, I was on Zoloft and it did seem to help. It made me very bubbly and happy. Nothing seemed to get me down. The only thing is it made me EXTREMELY spacy. I have most recently been on Effexor and although it did help, it does have really bad withdrawl side effects as Criticalthinking mentioned. I was so dizzy I had to start taking something just for the dizziness! I also became really emotional and had the worst headaches I think you could ever imagine..

I'm in the process of applying for state health insurance, but I may make just over the income cut off, so I don't know yet. It's very frustrating! I remember the really emotional thing you were noting in your Effexor withdrawal. It was awful. I literally cried uncontrollably for four hours straight. My doctor was really upset when he found out about it. He fired his receptionist for not passing on my urgent messages for a refill. He also told me that you can go to the ER if you're in really bad shape like that, and they'll give you a maintenance dose, but I didn't know I could do that at the time.

I have tried several: zoloft, wellbrutrin, prozac, and effexor xr. The only one I had positive results with was Effexor XR, the only downside was the withdrawl effects. Zolft and prozac caused me to have blackouts and go through my day in a zombie like state. I would forget what happened five seconds ago. Wellbrutrin did not do anything for me other than eliminate my nicotine cravings.

Bawon

There are so many anti depressant drugs out there, but there just only three of them that works well for me. They are ;

1. Fluoxetine
2. Escitalopram
3. Citalopram

I am currently on two anti-depressant drugs myself that I was prescribed by my doctor to help with my fibromyalgia symptoms and they work well for me. I am currently on fluoxetine once in the morning and amitriptyline which is once at night. I find they help me and I am able to function better taking them and I do notice a huge difference if I stop taking them.

I have been taking Lorazepam for a while now. One tablet in the morning and one at night. It helps me to have a calm mind most of the time and it's why I don't miss out on my pill when I'm supposed to do so. Hopefully, I will be free from depression soon so I can stop taking the pills.

Back