What causes depression

Some people say depression is genetic.I think it is more caused my a chemical imbalance in the brain.Thats what my doctor said.Also things that happen in our lives can cause depression but I think that just causes the brain to stop making and releasing the chemicals we need to make us happy.
As much as i hate taking pills and the side effects of them,given time and some counselling a person can find help.

In my oponion depression is caused by environment. There is no way it can be genetic, if tour parent took care of you well this mean youl be like your parents.

Archeon, as always you are the voice of reason! You should have your own thread, 'Talking with Archeon' :)
You certainly know a lot about psychology, depression and how our brain works, its always nice to read your posts.

Nobody knows what really causes depression, since it can be cause by a enormous number of things, like, for example a traumatic experience, like when a loved one dies

People can become depressed because of an upsetting event, but experts in depression like to point out that sadness is not the same thing as depression. Fortunately, with our increased understanding of brain chemistry and genetics, and ever more powerful brain imaging technologies, they are developing better understanding of mental health problems. Maybe they'll be able to develop a cure!

People can become depressed because of an upsetting event, but experts in depression like to point out that sadness is not the same thing as depression. Fortunately, with our increased understanding of brain chemistry and genetics, and ever more powerful brain imaging technologies, they are developing better understanding of mental health problems. Maybe they'll be able to develop a cure!

That's true. However, there is situational depression, which is similar to sadness. There is also chronic, clinical depression caused by an imbalance of the body's chemistry. Both are called the same thing; that is, they are called "depression." But situational depression is a comparatively short-term problem that is connected with a particular event, while clinical (correctly termed "major") depression normally requires long-term treatment, including medication.

While recognizing that there is no one cause of depression, I believe that the suffering that comes with it self-inflicted. We tend to wallow in depression because we refuse to move on with what has happened that made us sad. And while these actions are understandable, we still need to move on. The best thing we can do is learn from the depressing situations we had undergone and hope that we become a better person after it! :)

I think being depressed entirely depends on how you look at things. Although they may say that it can be a genetic thing, still, if you know how to handle things and get a hold of yourself, you can prevent being depressed.

Of course it is but a normal thing to be depressed or emotionally imbalanced at times. We are just humans with our own imperfections. But we should always try to look at things in a wider perspective.

Frost

A lot of things can actually make someone to start feeling depressed and it depends on the magnitude of the effect that thing have on the person that it's been affected. As for me, I started feeling depressed when I was abused sexually by our house maid 10 years ago.

Being financially broken can cause depression. I have seen a lot of people who committed suicide when they lost everything they had. It happened to my uncle when he was duped.

Anything can cause depression for someone. My friend started experiencing her own depression after she was raped by 2 armed robbers. It was a very horrible experience for her.

Both of my parents became depressed when they lost their job during the lockdown and it was the trigger that cost it for them as for me I started suffering from depression when I was still a teenager and it was as a result of child abuse.

Back