Lack of exercise

Lack of exercise is also associated with depression. Regular exercise causes the brain to release endorphins and other chemicals that naturally help elevate mood. One need not run 20 kilometers a day or lift weights six hours a day to reap such benefits. Simply scheduling to go for a brisk walk 30 minutes a day four days a week will help a person's overall health.

But when we are depressed, we find it hard to get up from the bed, so it would be a lot harder to go out for a run or something like that

Oh tell me about it! I usually get depressed during the winter months, I hate how the sun goes down by 4:30pm and how my days are short, I just have no energy whatsoever to do anything, let alone exercise. So yes Skypower, there are plenty of days I too find it hard to get up from bed. Even when Im up, it doesn't mean I will have the energy to exercise!

GO to the gym :p or since we are talking about exercise just go snowboarding/skiing.
Playing in the snow is always fun too

It is all about self motivation. If you think to yourself "I Can" and get up from the bed, you can do wonderful things! You just need to believe that you can.

I'm in New Jersey as well and as a matter of fact it is snowing right now!!!! so shoveling snow will be my 30 or 45 minutes of exercise for today :p

Regular physical activity can even help prevent depression and high blood pressure.
Physical activity prevent you from diseases, help in weight losand weight managment and better sleep.
Exercise make you happier and more relaxed than you were before you worked out.

Last edited:
Even though I understand intellectually that exercise will help when I'm depressed, when I'm deeply depressed I sometimes still just can't seem to do it. If I get really bad I have to fight with myself to even brush my teeth or take a shower.

Yes, this is partly true. But I guess it all goes down to one thing - how you motivate yourself. If you are not motivated enough to get some exercise, then you are most likely to just stay at your bed and eat all day.

Definatley true that excersize helps.Even if it's just stomping/dancing around your bedroom to the radio when you feel angry or whatever.Excersize helps me...express myself and any negative emotions.Stay strong everyone xo

Heatman

I know that is very important to exercise all the time because it helps to keep you in a very good shape which is why I try as much as I can to exercise at least two times in a week even though I find it very difficult to deal with my depression at most time. It is only when I am battling with illness that I cannot workout.

I always trying to work out at least 30 minutes everyday but I know that I can do better than that but I need someone that will always motivates me to keep on working out. What I'm trying to say is that I need a workout partner and once I have someone that I can work out with all the time, I will be doing it all the time.

Lack of exercise is also associated with depression. Regular exercise causes the brain to release endorphins and other chemicals that naturally help elevate mood. One need not run 20 kilometers a day or lift weights six hours a day to reap such benefits. Simply scheduling to go for a brisk walk 30 minutes a day four days a week will help a person's overall health.
Lack of exercise isn't associated with depression. It's laziness that's associated with lack of exercise. Maybe you don't really know how to put what you meant very well.

I am in full agreement that getting outside and being active is a great way to help with your depression and help you feel better both mentally and physically. Unfortunately, as someone who suffers from depression quite frequently, I do know that there are times I do not even want to leave the house due to how I am feeling no matter how much it may help and it's like my mind just doesn't want to let me step outside and take a walk to feel better. I will admit on days when I can get out and go for a walk, I feel better afterward. Winter time is definitely a time that I struggle the worst though with the weather being bad to get out in at that time of year.

I wouldn't say that lack of exercise is a factor in causing someone to be depressed because I know some people who don't workout in their life and they are not depressed because they are also engaged in some other outdoor activities that is different from working out.

I'm not sure if I am going to agree that lack of exercise is part of what causes depression in people because I know so many people who are not engaging in working out actively and they are not depressed.

Back