Depressed Children

When I was young, people did not believe children suffered with depression.

Times have changed.

Parents often accept their child's depression, then refuse to pursue treatment if anti-depression medications are part of the treatment plan. The same parents make sure their children are vaccinated on schedule, will take the child for dental check ups and fret over meals and proper eating, but will let the child's tormented mind go untreated.

I believe that a parent's refusing to medicate a child suffering with clinical depression constitutes neglect.

Do you think these parents should face legal action?

Times have changed.

Parents often accept their child's depression, then refuse to pursue treatment if anti-depression medications are part of the treatment plan. The same parents make sure their children are vaccinated on schedule, will take the child for dental check ups and fret over meals and proper eating, but will let the child's tormented mind go untreated.

I believe that a parent's refusing to medicate a child suffering with clinical depression constitutes neglect.

My parents are like this. My mom always makes sure that I get all of my shots, freak out when I don't eat, & take me to every dentist appointment that I have. On the other hand, she know longer gives me my pills in the morning, & will NOT let me see any doctors that Ii can connect with. It frustrates me to no end, & sometimes I wish they could get in trouble for this, but at the same time, I don't know what I would do without them....

Frost

This was exactly the case when I was still a kid. My parents never agreed that it's possible for a kid to be depressed. It's why a lot of kids in my neighbourhood suffered a lot. So many of them took their own lives.

Their parents needs to be held accountable!!

There's no age limit that's above being depressed. Depression doesn't look at your age and it's what parents needs to understand. They need to talk to their kids very often to know exactly what's going on with them.

There's no age limit that's above being depressed. Depression doesn't look at your age and it's what parents needs to understand. They need to talk to their kids very often to know exactly what's going on with them.
I would say that depression can actually start from the age of teenagers upwards because that is when something can actually affect an individual and have a very big impact on their life and how they see things.

A little boy of 7 years old killed himself in our estate last year because of his depression. His suicide note was what led his parents know what he was passing through.

I think it's important for parents to have a close relationship with their children. Most times than not, children will hide things from their parents and won't speak their emotions or what they're going through. The public school system also has a play in this, as kids can get bullied and will affect them. Ultimately, no one other than the child will know this is going on.

It's important to implement that mindset into your children early on. Speak to them regularly and understand changes in personality and behavior

When a parent is not having a very good relationship with their children, it is going to be difficult for them to know when their kids are being too worried about something which is capable of making them to be depressed.
Both kids and adults can be depressed when something that is too much for them falls upon them.

Back