Constant washing of hands

I was wondering if anyone here has officially being diagnosed with OCD and constant washing of hands? When exactly does a person become OCD with washing of hands instead of just being clean? I have noticed lately that I have to always wash my hands after anything and everything I do. I mean everything. For some reason I keep on thinking I dont wash them often I will carry on some weird germ to my clothes, my books, my bed, my dorm, etc. Its really weird because I used to only wash my hands after using the bathroom and before/after eating but now I find myself having to wash my hands after everything. It has become so bad that my hands are really dry, my cuticles are flaky and no matter how much hand lotion I use they are not getting any better.

I am scared that I might have an Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, because I tend to wash my hands a lot! Even when I don't need it. It's like a need for perfection

There are times that I get mad at people that make mistakes, even if they make just little mistakes, but I don't think that it is a OCD synthom... Or is it? :S

My friend has OCD she is always washing her hands,yes it is a symptom.It is a very common condition,and can be both physical and mental.
Doing things in a certain manner or repetitively(compulsive)behavior.
It is an anxiety type disorder,causing intrusive thoughts as well.

I can't believe it, but I think I might have OCD. Is there a cure for this? Since it's psychological, maybe I can cure this on my own, without having to go to a psychologist

Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, OCD, is an anxiety disorder and is characterized by recurrent, unwanted thoughts (obsessions) and/or repetitive behaviors (compulsions). Repetitive behaviors such as handwashing, counting, checking, or cleaning are often performed with the hope of preventing obsessive thoughts or making them go away. People with OCD may be plagued by persistent, unwelcome thoughts or images, or by the urgent need to engage in certain rituals. They may be obsessed with germs or dirt, and wash their hands over and over.

Is there a cure? There are ways to manage the obsession, after all OCD is an anxiety disorder. Medication and counseling are some of the ways it can be managed.

I used to have some problems with this. For me is was house cleaning. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with keeping a clean house, but I would get all upset if it wasn't "perfectly" clean. Like I would sweep and mop the floor, and then sweep again, and then mop again, and then start crawling around with a dustpan trying to sweep up every hair left behind, and scrubbing at spots with a wet wipe. Then the wet wipe would make a dull spot in the shine of the floor, so I would mop again.

It took me years to stop doing it, but now I just clean like a normal person. :)

I have the same problem with washing my hands constantly. I sit here at the computer, but if I go get a drink, I will wash my hands before I pour the tea. Another major washing hands event is when I cook. I wash my hands before I cook, but if I grab a pan from the cabinet, I wash my hands again. If I cut up vegetables, I wash my hands. After doing every procedure or touching anything in-between, I wash my hands again. I also thought it was just being clean. My wife thinks its funny, because I will stop cooking or preparing the food until I wash my hands. I didn't think that was OCD. What does everyone else think.

What happens if you try to wait to wash your hands? I mean, if you tell yourself you're going to skip washing your hands for a little bit, do you become increasingly anxious about the germs on your hands? Do you become so anxious you can't make yourself not wash your hands? If so, that may definitely be OCD.

I was diagnosed with OCD back when I was in high school and yes, I was washing my hands until they nearly bled. I was worried about getting germs, so if I could help it, I avoided touching most outside surfaces too. I believe that OCD has some relations to anxiety and wanting to be 'safe' or as previously mentioned, wanting to do something perfectly.

My sister has OCD. She wants her hands to be very clean. She uses her hand gloves in holding utensils, and almost everything. She also wants everything to be so perfect and that makes her daily routine a complex one!. Lol. But, I learned that a person with an obsessive compulsive disorder should not be stopped from what he or she is doing, but rather to give a limit to the activity that is repeatedly done.

Not that I want to give excuses but we do live in a world full of germs and bacteria! For example, in my job there are a few ladies that I have seen walk right out of the bathroom after using the toilet, without washing their hands!! ewwwk!!!!! So, these type of people are the ones that spread the germs and bacteria, they leave the bathroom, touch doorknobs, files, pens, documents, shake hands and slowly spread their disgusting germs... that is why I wash my hands constanly, cause just thinking about the million of germs I am exposed to every time I touch anything makes me feel disgusted.

Roberto

If you consider washing of hands all the time as having obsessive compulsive disorder, then I believe that most of us suffered from it during the time the pandemic of coronavirus was very hot. I wash my hands more than 50 times everyday.

If you consider washing of hands all the time as having obsessive compulsive disorder, then I believe that most of us suffered from it during the time the pandemic of coronavirus was very hot. I wash my hands more than 50 times everyday.
I believe that each and everyone of us did exactly the same thing during the pandemic of corona virus because it was one of the ways to prevent yourself from getting infected and nobody wanted to die which was why we took it all very seriously.

As far as I'm concerned, constantly washing of hands is a very good thing. Nothing minding the pandemic of coronavirus, it's something that I used to do very well. It's not a health issue at all or OCD.

I have never been officially diagnosed with OCD but I do have issues where I feel like I need to always clean my hands and I hate any kind of a mess at all. My kids often joke about me having OCD and I am pretty sure I do have it but have never been diagnosed with it to date.

Back