Athiesm

Hey,
I have started to lean toward atheism lately and I have always wondered whats Atheists look for instead of God when they are down or depressed?
Since they don't believe in a higher power or higher calling, does it take away the "hope" and make you more depressed?

Good question dude!!

And to be honest we are living in a pretty messed up world at the moment... without the intervention from God then we are unlikely to be able to rehabilitate the situation.

If we all just happened, say in the Big bang theory, and we are going to be dust again one day then there isn't a justifiable reason to stay alive (and don't do anything stuiped I'm just talking theoretically).

But through atheism how can you rationalise things like love? Like friends or family who have gone out of their way to help you?

Hourney

well you can still rationalize friendship, love , and all the emotions, and I guess being atheist will work if you are not depressed, and relatively successful, but i guess my question is what if your depressed and an atheist

That works when you are not depressed archeon..enjoying small moments and what not...but when you are depressed alot of the times your looking for an answer, or some sort of hope that things will get better and at that times i guess believing that there is a god and heaven waiting for you makes you feel a little better?

You just need to believe in yourself, the "higher power" is inside you! You can make all the difference in your life, only you can resolve all your problems

I am an agnostic, I will like to beleive there is a God but really I have no proof he/she exists. It is a nice belief to have but years ago I lost it. Like many of you said here I looked forward to other things such as making my mother and little brother happy, like enjoying my time with family and friends and the possibility of doing something good with my life.

Religious people are less likely to commit suicide as they believe only God decides when someone must die. suicide is considered a serious sin in many religions so no matter how depressed a religious person may be they will never think about committing suicide, rather they will reach out to the church and to God for guidance and strenght. Is there a God? a Heaven? Well, we all have our own believes and I believe there is a God and no matter how bad things are in the end things do work themselves out.

Vonnegut was an atheist and a humanist. So was Voltaire. Humanists see great beauty in humanity, and are concerned with ending the suffering of their fellow humans everywhere. Helping your fellow humans and working to make the world better, safer, more fair, and more peaceful for everyone is a powerful feeling. Whenever I am filled with despair, I remind myself that for all the bad things people do to each other, there are good people committing selfless acts out of empathy for others every single day.

Heatman

Personally, I don't really think that religion affects one in a way of making them feel depressed. It's something more than than which affects them physically and personally.

Those who believe in God and religion will always tell you that it is something that is superior to anything in the world but my question is why would such power exist and all the kind of suffering that we're seeing today keeps going on?

I simply cannot overcome suicidal depression without God. However, though, getting driven to that point has been tough. In fact, only the situation with my wife has driven me that far.

I really can't say but I am very satisfied and feel a lot more hopeful when I remember there is actually a purpose for life and we ain't just here by chance.

Back