About Bipolar Disorder

Walter

People with bipolar disorder,or manic depressive disorder,experience alternating mood swings,from emotional highs(mania)to lows(depression) the condition can range from mild to severe.

Symptoms of mania include;

• Feelings of euphoria,extreme optimism,exaggerated self esteem
    Rapid speech,racing thoughts
    Decreased need for sleepExtreem irritability
    Impulsive and reckless behavior

Symptoms of depression include;

• Loss of interest in and pleasure from favorite activities
    Loss of sexual interest or pleasure
    Feeling of sadness
    Changes in appetite or weight
    Suicidal thoughts

Depression and bipolar disorder are treatable.
Learning to recognize the signs and triggers enables people and health profesionals to prevent recurrences.Speak to your doctor if you feel you have this condition.

@Archeon: I was diagnosed with bipolar in June. I struggled for ages trying to work it out because I also am naturally a very energetic and bubbly person. Also the depression was a lot more dominant lasting for sometimes months at a time, where as the manic stages never seemed to last longer than a few hours...

And I think end of the day it really doesn't matter which title it is given (other than it will affect which medication will be most useful if you are on any).

It could be helpful to chat with friends and family who know you well. Or to chat with a psychiatrist.

Isn't there any way to cure bipolar disorder? With medications you only get better or you can cure it? It must be very hard to be diagnosed with bipolar

I am still not sure that I understand what bipolar is. I keep thinking the doctors come up with new names to explain peoples actions. It is depression in my opinion, but I am not a doctor naming conditions.

Bipolar is quite different than depression, and it has been a diagnosis for a long time, it isn't a new one. Bipolar people have manic phases. They may go on wild spending sprees or have a bunch of dangerous sexual encounters. They may not sleep for many days. They feel good, so it doesn't seem like a problem, but people in a severe manic phase can get themselves into real trouble, and they can also get hurt.

People who suffer from depression, also called mono-polar depression to distinguish it from bi-polar don't have the swings to a manic state.

I was diagnosed with it. They wanted me to take lithium, but the side effects for that are so severe I just tried to make due for years without any medications. Antidepressants did help me a great deal though, once I decided to try them. I never did take the lithium.

Back