Suppressing depression

I grew up where mental disorders and depression ran in the family. But we were never allowed to talk about it. We ignored it and pretended it wasn't an issue. I remember being 12 and being sad but not understanding why. My parents took me to a doctor (going to a therapist was a no-no) and he said there was nothing wrong with me.

I still remember being yelled at by my father on the car ride home for crying. He asked why I was crying all the time and I said I didn't know, I just felt scared. He said that I was selfish and just wanted attention and needed to suck it up.

So from that moment on I did. I sucked it up. I never let anyone know how depressed I was and pretended things were never that bad. It's been 14 years since my dad died and I've still never dealt with that loss. We had such a strange relationship and even though I was 19 when he died, people much older looked to me to make all the decisions and take responsibility.

I know I shouldn't be depressed. I have a job, a home, friends. But anytime I'm sad, in the back of my head my dad is still telling me I'm being selfish so I do my best not to show it.

I guess I've always felt guilty for being depressed.

I understand the guilt you feel. I have gone through it myself. I would like to suggest that you contact your doctor and go in and talk to him/her about it. I waited way to long to get some help and I wish I would have done it much sooner. It doesn't mean you would have to go on medication, there are many options these days for getting help for depression. But even he dose suggest medication it doesn't mean it will be for the rest of your life. Sometimes we just need a little help to get over the bump in the road, even if the bump has been there awhile. I think you will feel much better once you talk to someone. You actually may feel better by taking that first step and setting up the appointment. You deserve to be happy. Stay strong, and fight back, don't give up.

Bawon

People always make the mistake of not talking about how they feel when they are depressed. It's what have made a lot of people commit suicide even when it looked as if they had a perfect life. My dear, always talk about your priority and focus on getting better. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

The simple truth is that none of us wishes to be depressed but it is something that we cannot help because it's something that comes as a mental challenge and whenever it happens we will have to find a way to deal with it otherwise it is going to sink us.

It's what life throws at us that always tend to push us into depression and for those who aren't strong enough, they go with it and meet their end. It's not easy dealing with depression and no matter how much you try to suppress it, if you don't get help, it would most likely ruin you.

I've been trying so hard to suppress my depression but it is not working at all and right now I am trying as much as I can to talk about it to some of my friends so that I will know if any of them have been in the same situation so that I will know what help them.

I've been trying so hard to suppress my depression but it is not working at all and right now I am trying as much as I can to talk about it to some of my friends so that I will know if any of them have been in the same situation so that I will know what help them.
There is no way you can be able to take care of your depression by suppressing it, rather it is going to turn worse and be more devastating for you. The best thing for you to do is to try as much as you can to get help as soon as possible so that it will help to take care of the problem when it is not too late.

Many people are in the same boat as you, others may not understand why you're depressed as they see no reason to be. But, ultimately, they don't understand your thoughts and feelings

Status doesn't fix depression. Just look at all the celebrities who have dealt with depression. They have a job, a family, loads of money, and would probably never need to deal with things themselves since they have resources for others to do things for them. Yet, they still get depressed.

It's important to talk things out and express with a professional what you're going through. They would be the most understanding

I grew up where mental disorders and depression ran in the family. But we were never allowed to talk about it. We ignored it and pretended it wasn't an issue. I remember being 12 and being sad but not understanding why. My parents took me to a doctor (going to a therapist was a no-no) and he said there was nothing wrong with me.

I still remember being yelled at by my father on the car ride home for crying. He asked why I was crying all the time and I said I didn't know, I just felt scared. He said that I was selfish and just wanted attention and needed to suck it up.

So from that moment on I did. I sucked it up. I never let anyone know how depressed I was and pretended things were never that bad. It's been 14 years since my dad died and I've still never dealt with that loss. We had such a strange relationship and even though I was 19 when he died, people much older looked to me to make all the decisions and take responsibility.

I know I shouldn't be depressed. I have a job, a home, friends. But anytime I'm sad, in the back of my head my dad is still telling me I'm being selfish so I do my best not to show it.

I guess I've always felt guilty for being depressed.
People who have everything in the get depressed. It's all about having all the material things my dear. If there's a trigger for depression in your life, it's definitely going to happen.

From my experience with being depressed, the more you try to have it suppressed, the more it gets worst. You have to be open about it and know that you need help. It's the only way that you can start on the right path of having it treated.

You have to try just about everything possible to take care of your depression problem.

If trying to suppress it is something that's going to work, by all means do it very well. The most important thing is for you to get better.

Back