ADD how to recognize

jake

My son is not very focused he is twelve . I don't really remember being that way myself
He is a real hit and run artist . I am hoping he will be more goal oriented in in the smallest things ,but it really worries me .
School is a struggle for him and they try to make lesson plans simpler but so far it is hard on him .He really wants to do well and at 12 years old I really worry about the pressure it puts on him.

My brother (who is now 21) was a terror when he was younger. He was a smart kid and when he focused he did well but to get him to sit down, pay attention and focus it was near impossible! We knew from the beginning he was an extremely over active child. He could never sit at one place for long, he could never sit and watch a 2 hour movie, he was never interested in any one game for long periods of time and when he started school this behavior continued. God knows the amount of times I had to drive to the school to pick him up cause he got in trouble! The only reason he got in trouble is because he couldnt stay in class for long periods of time, he had to always be on the move, touching something, doing something, talking, etc, etc anything to keep him entertained! Well, it wasn't long before the school's child study team had a meeting with my mother and I and told us that they could no longer handle my brother and his disruptive behavior was no longer tolerated. They believed he had Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) and referred us to a child psycologist and asked for my brother to be placed on medication. My brother started seeing a psychologist and then placed on Ritalin, a few more months later he was moved up to Concerta, he was with concerta for a while with every few months increasing the dosis, it came a time that the meds would make brother go into a trance, at times he just looked like he was out of it, this is when we took him off the meds but the school noticed the difference in my brother's behavior and asked we put him back on meds! Doctor then put him on Adderall and when that one didnt work they put him on wellbutril. After 8 years of medication my brother at the age of 13 decided he didnt want to do it anymore, the side effects from the pills were dry mouth, stomach issues, dizziness, etc-- he still has ADHD and he still experienced problems all through high school but is not as bad anymore. I suggest you talk to your school's child study team and get some guidance from them as to where you can get your child diagnosed.

Hey Jake, Have you talked to the child study team in your child's school or talked to your doctor about your concerns yet?

One of the best way to know about ADD is to look secretly how your child treats with other same age childs, if he treat abnormally it might be disorder.

@ Halishas, What do you mean by treating abnormally? It is hard to know that stuff, since we are not always around the children while they are playing with other kids

Three primary characteristics of ADD/ADHD are inattention, hyperactivity, and impulsivity.. If your child is hyperactive, inattentive, or impulsive, it may take a lot of energy to get him or her to listen, finish a task, or sit. ADD/ADHD can lead to problems at home and school, and affect your child’s ability to learn and get along with others. It’s important for you to be able to spot the signs and symptoms, and get help if you see them in your child.

Back