My Story: Severe Suicidal Postpartum Depression

Life hasn’t always been a picnic. When I was in my early 20's I gave birth to my first child. It was an incredibly difficult delivery and I came away from the experience with severe postpartum suicidal depression.

Fortunately I had a very stable and mature husband who stood by my side. There were many times that he left work to come home when I was having an emotional breakdown.

I desperately tried to get help.

I endured a humiliating physical and spent $300 on an endocrinologist who told me I was fine at a time in my life when I didn't have medical insurance or extra money. He was expecting me to celebrate but I sat there and cried.

I was intuitively aware that there was something seriously wrong. He referred me to a psychiatrist who sent me home with a prescription for valium. The valium knocked me out so I wasn't in a position to take care of myself or a newborn baby.

During that 2 year phase following childbirth I couldn't find anyone who could help me and my closest friends and family members didn't know what to do.

I now understand how it's possible for a woman to 'eliminate' her own children. It isn't that she doesn't love her children. The problem is that she isn't healthy enough to handle the overwhelming responsibilities that go along with parenting. A mother doesn't have the option or the luxury of giving 2 weeks notice if she can‘t handle her job. It also isn't an issue of seeing her glass being half empty if the health issue exists on a physical level such as hormone imbalance that leads to mental instability.

I came to a point of desperation where I chose to fast and pray for 3 days and 3 nights. I didn't know what to do but I did have a solid testimony of the power of prayer. After doing that I naturally bumped into a woman who felt inspired to give me information about a chiropractor who was using kinesiology in his practice.

During the first visit the chiropractor was able to determine that I endured serious damage to my tail bone area during childbirth. He was able to address that issue so I was completely functional and employed within 2 weeks of my office visit. That was the beginning of me feeling passionate about maintaining my own vehicle and assisting other people as they choose to improve their health. Sometimes it’s through a ‘tough life experience’ that we develop humility, compassion and a burning desire to make a difference in the lives of others.

If you have thoughts or information about how women in a similar situation can get help please…by all means…bring it on!

Sherrybelle, I'm sorry that you had to endure so much pain in your life. It sounds like you had a horrible experience to endure. So many emotions to deal with and the pressure of being responsible for a newborn baby as well. I'm so thankful that you found a wonderful solution to help you function better and that your husband was very supportive. I hope you're doing well and that you're not going through as much stress as before.

People like you Sherrybelle are needed in forums like these to show others how it is possible to overcome depression and hard times. I am so sorry to hear how you had to endure so much pain in your young life. Thank God you found a way to work through your issues and are still here to be there for your child's life, your husband, your family and of course for yourself.. after a while life does get better and there is a lot out there you have to live for.

Frost

People are always passing through hell everyday and you would never know until they open up and tell you exactly what they are suffering from. I am so sorry for what you have been through but it has never been easy for me as well because I've been battling from Depression ever since I was abused and raped by our house help 10 years ago.

People like you Sherrybelle are needed in forums like these to show others how it is possible to overcome depression and hard times. I am so sorry to hear how you had to endure so much pain in your young life. Thank God you found a way to work through your issues and are still here to be there for your child's life, your husband, your family and of course for yourself.. after a while life does get better and there is a lot out there you have to live for.
It's just like I mentioned in my shootout thread about all of us being here to help one another out. When we share our experiences, it's definitely going to be very helpful to someone without us knowing that. We need all the help we can get.

A lady in my neighbourhood killer her 3 kids and committed suicide two years ago. I'm very sure that it's something similar to this that she was passing through which led her into that horrible decision. It was very heartbroken seeing those kids. They were 5, 3 and 2 years.

It is never easy for what she has been through but I believe that everything is dependent on how determined she was to beat it and she has already done that for her children because if she had not, it will always affect her children.

Back